Friday, November 30, 2007

Artist's Statement

I've been sick as a dog all this week, so writing is about all I've gotten done as far as MFA work is concerned. For those lucky few of you who visit my blob (heh, nice typo...I mean BLOG of course), you get the preview of my artist's statement for January. Subject to change, prices may vary by location.


"These tintype portraits and landscape photographs on glass seem to represent two disparate bodies of work, but both are grounded on a similar foundation: an exploration of memory, history, and nostalgia.

Using the rural American folk art tradition of painted photographic portraits in the 19th century, the series of tintypes could very well represent missing portraits of my own family, since I have very limited family connections and hardly any portraits to speak of. However, these images are of mannequins in an antique store near my home. They have been carefully photographed and framed with the same reverence as a real family member would be treated, with full knowledge of their artificiality. Locks of hair from the wigs worn by these mannequins (some wigs made from real human hair, others not), artificial flowers, real dried flowers, and other objects and decorations have been included with the tintypes in antique wood and plaster frames. By intentionally mixing artificial, “modern” products with objects identified as antique, I am attempting to comment on the temporal qualities of remembrance and the still photograph’s inability to be an accurate record of memory. The mannequin photographs here have no more, no less memory embedded into them than a portrait of a real human, even of a family member. Further, the reading of nostalgia in these works is skewed by the fact of their artificiality, and helps to lay bare the deceit which nostalgia holds. The simpler time one may long for while viewing these works is just as artificial as the figures in the photographs.

The liquid emulsion images on glass also use what might be termed an antiquarian photographic process to explore how memory and history are recorded in the landscape. I have made a series of landscape images in a variation of the panorama format, using a half-frame 35mm camera. These overlapping photographs depict Civil War battlefields at Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. Not only is this the place where over 7,500 soldiers lost their lives during three days in July, 1863, it is also where I spent the first twelve years of my life. My visit here in October of this year was only the second since my childhood, and the first where I had a true knowledge and sense of the historic events that happened there. These photographs are the beginning stages of a further investigation into the ways a landscape evolves from a space to a Place; that is, how a landscape records both a personal history and a natural and human history on a grander scale, and becomes important to understanding the human condition. By printing the landscape images on glass, I not only make a connection to photographic processes used during the Civil War era, but the ephemeral, translucent qualities of the images allow them to be read as a palimpsest, making possible the layering of images to allude to the passage of time and the constant evolution of memory and the landscape. Further adaptations of this project may include other photographs from different time periods or enlargements of maps from the region."

1 comment:

liz schrenk said...

Hi Kevin!
Your artist's statement sounds great, I'm sorry that I haven't checked your blog in a while... I love what you have to say about your work, specifically regarding the artificial quality of memory and its connection to the places we grew up in. You and I have a lot of concepts in common, I am so excited to see your new work later this week!

I also wanted to ask you, if you get this, can you please give me a little heads-up / preview of Michael Newman's Critical Theory class? I'm feeling anxious, and not quite sure what to expect from that, any information you have would surely be appreciated!

Good luck pulling everything together this week, Kevin, and happy New Year! I'll see you on Friday!

-liz