Sunday, May 4, 2008

The other half of the project?


Many thanks to my mentor Liz for yet another great meeting. I'm glad that I decided to bring these tintypes along, as they may just be the missing link that holds together the Gettysburg project! Devils Den, to me, has always been the true "monument" at Gettysburg. While the other statues and memorials around the battlefields try their best to inspire awe and strength within the visitors (I would argue that they usually don't), Devils Den does it naturally. This huge pile of boulders, some about fifty feet high, are thrust up violently from the rolling hills and pastures surrounding it. During the war snipers used Devils Den as a place to hide, and control of the rock formation changed sides many times during the three days of battle. I like the one panorama I've done of this place in tin so far. I'm sure I'll do more now.


No comments: