Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Maybe it IS pre-emptive kitsch...

...in a way. Looking back at my thought paper for the month, a quote by Roger Scruton stands out:

“Through family, religion, and the forms of public life, we shield ourselves from the horrific vision that surrounds us—the vision of ourselves as fakes."

In a way, I am creating a "vision of ourselves as fakes" by using mannequins as sort of stand-ins for real people. Does this fact automatically make my work

a.)true kitsch
b.)preemptive kitsch, or
c.)some kind of comment on kitsch that avoids either one?

Let's hope that C is the right answer!

4 comments:

Neva Austrew said...

hmmm. I guess that depends on whether you think the mannequins are versions of ourselves, or unique entities all of their own...not fakes, but a kind of homage to humanity...what we strive to be? What we could be? What we wish we could be? Life without any troubles...a kind of nostaligic life?

Rebecca Moran said...

I think we all feel like "fakes" at one time or another. Like when I'm in the classroom and feel like I'm pretending to be a teacher. Then there is the anxiety that I'll be found out! From what I understand, everybody feels this way sometimes. It's just ol' insecurity rearing it's ugly head.

Kitsch and camp make a good read, and I can see those words come up by how you frame the images and the context that you put your work in.

But, I see more in your work than that. Like ideas of real vs unreal and idealized versions of ourselves and a nostalgic memory of a lost or past ideal self.

I mean what is the purpose of a mannequin? To show us how we would look in certain cloths, to sell us on a version of ourselves. I think the camp and kitsch stuff is more about the idea of the commercial and consumer aspects of mannequin and would love to see you move on from those troublesome words.

Rebecca Moran said...

I like the mannequin images the best when they are messed up. Like when the hair piece is askew or arms and legs are in big piles. Hmm, I wonder what that says about me?!

liz schrenk said...

Hi Kevin!
I like what you're doing now with your work, and the things you've written are very interesting. I met an artist last night that you may want to look at, his name is Glenn Kawabata, he teaches at the University of Hawaii. He was showing a series of tintypes, I thought you might be enjoy looking at his work. Take care -
liz