Friday, February 22, 2008

The answer to last week's puzzler


So, just how much of that map is seen in the picture I posted last week? Approximately, this much. I used the contour lines on the topo map, as well as my knowledge of the area, to figure out to the best of my ability how much of the land is actually seen. I sacrificed a $6 USGS map of that particular "quadrangle" and blacked out everything else. On a poster-sized map, it's pretty dramatic. Standing on top of that mountain, or lots of mountains in the Whites, you almost feel like you can see forever. Turns out that you're not seeing nearly as much of the earth as you think you are (and when you photograph it, you see even less).

So what does this have to do with Gettysburg, tintypes, or anything else I've been doing? Um, nothing. But I'm in a minor limbo with some of those projects. I just picked up the large, thick sheets of glass I'll be re-doing some of the Gettysburg panoramas on, but they need to be prepped and coated before I can print. I also need more pictures of Gettysburg, and I won't be going back until April. There's an encaustic project I'm going to do, but I need to take a workshop in encaustics that won't happen till mid-March. These blacked-out maps can be done anytime, whenever I find a photo I want to use and order the appropriate map. I need to get some matte black paint, though. This glossy stuff is awful.

2 comments:

Lynda Schlosberg said...

Hi Kevin!

I've been interesting in "mapping" of sorts myself. My mentor introduced me to a neat book you might be interested in:

Infinite Perspectives, Two Thousand Years of Three-Dimensional Mapmaking. By Brian M. Ambroziak and Jeffrey R. Ambroziak. Princeton Architectural Press. 1999.

Also, if you just get a liquid acrylic and add an acrylic matte medium you'll get rid of the glossy look.

I know this is a sidetrack project until you can get to Gettysburg, but I hope you have some fun with it.

I recently also got a series of books of satellite photos of the earth. Unbelievable! Not sure what that has got to do with this, but had to share...

Hope you are well.

Lynda

Rebecca Moran said...

Uhmmm, is the answer to last week's puzzler, "leave it in gear and step on the gas?

Do you want me to write my answer on a twenty dollar bill and sent it to you?"

You crack me up ;-)