Sunday, July 29, 2007

Meh







Had an ok day in the darkroom today...tried to make some tintypes from the photos I posted the other day, with mixed success. The problem with using color slides in the enlarger is that the exposure times shift wildly from image to image. In pictures with artificial, orangish light, the exposure times are extra long because the tintype emulsion is naturally resistant to orange light (just like regular b&w photo paper; that's why darkroom safelights are orange). So I tried hard to keep frustration from setting in. I'll scan and post these in a couple days once they're dry and I've collected them.

I've also been playing around with hand-coloring tintypes with oil paint. I bought one of those cheesy Marshalls oil kits to start with, and I'm using tintype "seconds:" ones with imperfections on the emulsion or under/overexposed images that won't be part of any final display. I'm not great at it yet, but I must say that they look much better in person than they do in these scans; the scanner managed to make every brushstroke stand out. Also, at the moment I only have five colors, hence the obnoxious yellow hair. Ugh.

Also some "panoramas" from the old hotel and the city of Baahston using my half-frame camera. These are just from scanned negatives, no printing yet.

No comments: