Friday, July 20, 2007

Mentor Meeting

My new mentor Fawn Potash was incredibly gracious enough to drive 2 hours from her home in the Catskills (in a town named Catskill, appropriately) to the Fenimore Art Museum today to visit with me at work. She and her husband used the convenient excuse of taking their 16 month old son to the Empire State Carousel at The Farmers' Museum across the street from us for their decision to make the journey. I think Fawn is going to be a fantastic choice. We talked extensively about the challenges I have for this semester and she seems to understand. She was genuinely interested in the artwork I've been making, and I think she'll help me work through the ideas in my work and the various (sometimes conflicting) messages I got at the residency this time. Furthermore, she's an artist who finds much importance in teaching children about art, and I want to pick her brain extensively about how she juggles her teaching schedule with her art-making time. I'm happy. Now I've just got to start producing again.

1 comment:

Neva Austrew said...

I'm glad your first meeting went well. That always sets a good tone to the semester. I love her work! I think my favorite is the Library series with the books. Hit close to home.