Saturday, September 22, 2007

Just an observation...

One of the eeriest things about moving to a new place is the "echo" of the old one. When most of the substantial bits of furniture - the bookshelves, the dressers, the desks - are taken out of a room, it changes the acoustics. Suddenly sounds bounce off of the walls in a way they didn't before, back when they were insulated by parts of your life. An audible emptiness...ugh. I can't wait to get the rest of the stuff out and get settled in the new place.

4 comments:

Neva Austrew said...

That is a strange feeling...I hate moving.

But congrats on the new place!

Neva Austrew said...

Oh that's right! Congrats on the new place! I hope moving in goes well.

liz schrenk said...

Hi Kevin!
It's nice to read through your blog, I hope that your new home is treating you well, and that you're beginning to feel settled. I have been reading "Forget Me Not; Photography and Remembrance" by Geoffrey Batchen - have you read this book? It reminds me so much of you and your work, and it makes me miss you! I hope you're happy out East!

-liz

Kevin G. said...

Hi Liz,
Thanks for posting! I certainly have read Forget Me Not, and it has become an essential book for my work (my paper last month quoted it exensively!). I hope that your photography is going well, and I look forward to reading your next paper...hopefully you'll paste it on your blog. And I hope your advisor Oliver is responsive and at least a little bit punctual with his feedback for you. I had some issues with that when he was my advisor last semester. :(