Wednesday, September 5, 2007

more colored tins











More colored tintypes, once again using a combination of oil paint, gouache, and india ink.
Thanks to Jesseca for a great phone call last night! Per your request, I will be using this blog over the next few days/weeks to make clearer my definitions of nostalgia, kitsch, camp, and memory, to see how each of these fits in/doesn't fit in with what I'm doing.
.
Also, here's a section that I added to my thought paper when I sent it to Jesseca, but it's not included in the version I posted below. Thanks to Mary Mayer for the suggestion to add something a bit more personal to my paper!:
.
"Addition as erasure; artificial as real; fiction as truth – these are the themes that are being explored in my tintypes, which I am now hand-coloring as well. I am creating loving portraits of beings that have no memory, and no way of relating their history. However, I have a history with these antique store mannequins that I can share. I have known of them and have “visited” them for ten years now, and I believe that I have photographed these mannequins more than the real people that have been close to me over the years. As a child taking pictures, I photographed landscapes almost exclusively with a tiny Kodak Disc camera, and even into college most of my work was centered on nature, not people. For most of my life I felt a slight distance from other people for reasons hopefully to be explored in later artworks and “thought papers” such as this. Photographing the mannequins was one method I found of exploring the human form minus the human interaction. This “fear” of interaction, for lack of a better term, is no longer as much of an issue as it once was, but the interest in the mannequins has remained."

No comments: